Saturday 20 December 2008

Tom Waits

I don't know about you but I can't listen to any of the music popularly available at the moment. The Indie uprising has me backtracking through my parent-instilled love of old music that they played growing up. I'll listen to anything from The Beatles to Sade and Tom Waits in an hour. And I'd rather spend my afternoons listening to Johnny Cash than the Presets. The problem with this is; how are we going to musically influence our own children?  Have all the giants in musical production come and gone before us? Will we have nothing to showcase for our own generation (s)?
If someone throws me a band that doesn't sound like a bunch of kids crying behind their hands whilst screaming into a microphone and gyrating in order to look like the second coming of Ian Curtis, I will stop listening to Fleetwood Mac on repeat.